Everything you need, nothing you don't. HDR and 4K is supported in pass thru. My 2 year old Yamaha didn't. Have it paired with a Polk 5.1 speaker system. Sounds good to me. The Sony automatic sound calibration seems to provide more bass than my old Yamaha's calibration (sounds better to me)
Jason of Pearl City, HI
A great reason to revisit your music collection
Meet the 948 — the flagship floor-standing speaker in Focal's super-impressive Aria series. If you're looking for abundant sonic detail, and a soundstage that allows a deep dive into your favorite music, read on. Focal's Aria series features advanced technologies originally developed for the company's acclaimed Utopia models, providing expressive, audiophile sound quality.
Flax/fiberglass sandwich woofer
The midrange and woofer cones are made of a composite of flax and fiberglass.
Cone material combines old and new
Speaker makers continuously search for new and better materials for drivers. An ideal driver material has three qualities:
- lightweight, so it can accelerate quickly
- rigid, so that it moves like a piston, without bending
- well-damped, so that unwanted vibrations don't color the sound
In their pursuit of sonic excellence, Focal made a surprising discovery — right in their own backyard. Woven flax can form the core of a very rigid yet lightweight speaker cone. Some of the world's finest flax grows in fields near Focal's headquarters.
Focal creates this advanced cone by sandwiching a layer of hollow flax fibers between two thin layers of fiberglass. In the Aria 948, the 6-1/2"" midrange and both 8-1/4"" woofers are made of this composite. Those dual woofers combine to produce taut, tuneful bass to anchor your music and movies.
Inverted dome tweeter looks different, sounds terrific
The Aria series also features Focal's 1"" aluminum/magnesium inverted dome tweeter. Inverting the dome brings more of its surface area closer to the voice coil. That means the voice coil can be smaller and lower in mass. Focal has found that this reduced mass allows the dome to move faster than a conventional dome, for better high-frequency response.
And the tweeter's lightweight Poron ""memory foam"" suspension improves damping, which reduces distortion in the critical 2-3kHz range by a factor of three, compared to a typical suspension.
The inverted dome's spatial characteristics and wide dispersion are further enhanced by the waveguide plate it's mounted on. In the horizontal plane, the tweeter's frequency response varies by only ±0.5dB. The result is an incredibly stable soundstage, even for listeners not seated in the central sweet spot.
Stylish, vibration-resistant cabinet
All Aria speakers feature ultra-rigid MDF cabinets with sturdy internal bracing and non-parallel sides. Focal takes these steps to eliminate the unwanted vibrations that lead to ""boxy"" colorations in the sound. The handsome cabinets have a traditional look, but with a few unexpected touches — a leatherette finish on the front, and a glass top surface.
Build a complete Focal Aria system
If you're interested in a voice-matched surround sound system, check out these other Focal models:
Center channel: Aria CC 900
Surround speaker: Aria SR 900
Powered subwoofer: Sub 300 P
Built in-house for better quality and value
The speaker drivers in every Aria speaker are built in-house at Focal's facilities in Saint-Etienne, France. Why is that important? Because it gives Focal complete control over every aspect of design, manufacture, and quality control, resulting in a consistently superior, high-value speaker.
Most speakers don't include any. Read our article about choosing and installing speaker wire.
Shop our selection of speaker wire.
- 3-way design
- 1"" TNF aluminum/magnesium inverted dome tweeter with waveguide
- 6-1/2"" midrange with flax/fiberglass sandwich cone
- Dual 8-1/4"" woofers with flax/fiberglass sandwich cones
- Frequency response: 37-28,000 Hz (±3dB)
- Recommended amplifier power: 50-350 watts
- Sensitivity: 92.5 dB
- Impedance: 8 ohms
- Multiple-Port Powerflow System bass-reflex design with both front-firing and down-firing ports for deeper bass response with more impact and less distortion
- Aluminum alloy base with integrated adjustable spikes for carpeted floors, and rubber feet or plastic protectors for placement on hard surfaces
- Binding posts accept pins, spade lugs, banana connectors, or bare wire
- Removable magnetic cloth grille
- Designed and built in France
- 14-5/8""W x 45-1/4""H x 16-9/16""D
- weight: 77 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # JMLARIA948-BPL
What's in the box:
- Focal Aria 948 owner's manual
- Floorstanding loudspeaker
- 4 Spike feet (pre-installed in base)
- 4 Plastic feet
- 4 Screws
- User Manual
Questions and answers of the customers
There are no questions yet. Be the first to ask a question about this product.